Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tapping into the subconscious

The latest thing on my mind? The stomach flu. But before that, I had a breakthrough. A clue. My recent experimenting was sparking my interest in my story again. I woke up thinking about my characters. I wasn't in full writing mode or anything, but it was in my head more often.

Then one day it happened. She spoke. Kate. My character. Out of nowhere, without me prompting her, just as I was getting into bed, she said:

"I was probably the only 17-year old on the planet that still got excited about school field trips."

And I said, "What, what did you just say?" And she repeated herself.

I was thinking...wow, the entire planet, huh? Seems a little extreme. But I was also thinking...finally, you haven't spoken to me in forever!

Then she said something else. You must understand that I had gone from napkin writing to nothing in a matter of months. I went from hearing voices in stereo to silence. This was a relief. She was still alive somewhere. Maybe she was just trapped in my subconscious. Maybe my experimenting had woken her up a little.

She gave me a page and a half. It didn't feel forced. I now believe I can get back to this world. It's just going to take some tapping.

ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment